Is there any kitchen garden space more beautiful than one adorned with trellises supporting thriving edible vines?
We haven’t found one yet. But trellises are for more than just their looks. Here are five more reasons to add a garden trellis to your vegetable garden.
Why We Use a Garden Trellis for Climbing Plants
If you’ve never grown your vegetables vertically, here are five good reasons to give it a shot:
1. Trellises give vining plants room to grow up, instead of out. This ensures none of your edible plants feel too cramped to grow to their fullest potential.
2. Trellises hold plants and their heavy fruits in place, keeping them clean and dry, and preventing mold, disease, and pest pressure.
3. Trellises provide better airflow and more access to sunlight for the plants growing on and around them.
4. Trellises give you more available growing space by allowing you to fill in around the base of each trellis with small and medium plants.
5. Trellises make it easier to tend and harvest from your plants by holding leaves, vines, and fruits in place.
Learn which plants you can grow on your trellises for each Central Texas growing season here.
Why We Love Metal Garden Trellises
Our 3 Favorite Garden Trellises for Vegetables
Panel Garden Trellis
Modern Panel Trellis
The bold geometric openings, black color, and sturdy metal construction of this piece all add a fun look to your garden.
Obelisk Garden Trellis
The word obelisk comes from the Ancient Greek word for pillar. Obelisk garden trellises, fittingly enough, are tall and narrow structures, often circular, that come to a point at the top. We love placing obelisk trellises in corners of raised beds.
You can grow several vining plants around the outside base of an obelisk trellis. This is the best garden trellis for cucumbers because you can fit three to four plants around each trellis and have easy access to the flowers and fruit for tending.
I recommend purchasing the tallest obelisk trellises you can find to give your vegetables plenty of vertical space.
Solid steel obelisk with dramatic swirls. Powder coated black. Assembly will be required.
Starting at $86.95
Arch Garden Trellis
Like those triumphal arches you see in top European travel destinations, a garden arch can really make a statement. An arch can serve as an entryway into a large kitchen garden space or connect two raised beds in a smaller space.
The best part about arches is that they give vines all the climbing room they could possibly want. A cherry tomato could literally span the top of the arch, snake down the other side, and then flip around to climb back up the other way!
Since arches covered in vines can be really heavy, make sure to properly secure your structure in place.
Scroll Arch Trellis
Add sophisticated design to your garden with the Scroll Arch Trellis.
Now all you have to do is pick a trellis type for your vegetable garden and find a panel, obelisk, or arch that brings you joy!
If you need a little help getting your kitchen garden set up and growing, book a consultation with us today. We love helping our community of kitchen gardeners grow!