You don’t have to be a handyman to utilize a great tool bag or belt. Picture organizing all your gardening tools and supplies into one nice garden tote that you can take out to the garden with you—everything you need in one place. And when you’re not gardening, your bag serves as convenient storage for these tools. It can also double as a picnic tote or caryall bag.
If you’re looking for a gift for a gardener, a gardening tote is a great option. A housewarming present, a retirement gift, a birthday present, a hostess gift—this type of practical and super useful gift works for so many occasions.
What Can You Carry in Your Garden Tote
The best garden tote bags have plenty of room for all your essentials, plus extra tools. Here’s what you might toss into your tote:
- all of your go-to gardening tools like your pruners, hand trowel, hori hori knife, etc.
- gardening gloves
- seed packets
- spray bottles
- organic pest control
- plant starts to add to your garden
- weeds and other debris for removal
- garden harvests
- a water bottle (plus an extra one for long, hot days under the sun)
- a wide-brimmed hat
- a garden kneeler
- your cell phone
WHAT TO LOOK FOR IN A GARDENING TOOL BAG
Here’s what to pay attention to when you’re shopping around to find the best option for you.
Gardening essentials like tools and spray bottles come in all kinds of shapes and sizes, so storing them can be tricky. The best garden tool bag will have several different types of pockets to accommodate all kinds of tools, from the sharp and pointy to the habitually mud-caked. You should be able to store pruners in one side pocket, trowels in another, and your brand-new gardening hat in the center pocket without worry.
Typically, you’ll want to store items you’ll need while actively gardening in outer pockets that are easiest to access. You’ll be glad you did this when your hands are covered in dirt, trust me. Interior pockets are perfect for storing your cell phone, water bottle, and other items you don’t necessarily want getting dirty.
Make sure whichever bag you select is large enough to contain all your most-used tools and supplies. Large things that you might need to carry in your bag include garden kneelers, sun hats, and shovels. Make sure you have room to store whichever bag you select in your garage, shed, or closet.
Gardening tools can be heavy, and some even come equipped with pretty sharp tips. You want to make sure you’re buying something that won’t rip as soon as it’s full. Durable fabric options that hold up to wear and tear include canvas, nylon, and oxford fabric, all popular choices for outdoor gear like bags and tents. They also tend to be easy to wipe clean.
Certain design choices can also add durability. Things like double stitching near stress points and serged edges to prevent unraveling can make a real difference in the longevity of your bag. If you’ve ever had a flimsy backpack, you know that the straps can break pretty easily, so pay attention to how secure handles and straps feel.
You probably won’t be carrying your tool bag super far distances unless you’re perhaps a landscaper, so comfort might not be of top importance. Even so, I like totes with a little extra cushion wrapped around the handles to make them easier to carry. I also appreciate bags that are more flexible so you can sling them over a shoulder or hold the straps in your hands.
With these things in mind, let’s look at some of our top picks for a garden carryall.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I earn a small profit when you click on the link and purchase my recommendations. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Thanks for supporting my small business!
OUR TOP PICKS
I know it’s choice overload out there, so we’ve narrowed it down to our favorite options for you. Here they are:
- Picnic at Ascot Gardening Tote
- Morden MS Garden Tool Bag
- WORKPRO Garden Tote Bag
- Caroyino Garden Tote Bag
- Housolution Gardening Tote Bag
- NAYE Garden Tool Set
- Readywares Waxed Canvas Supply Bag
Let’s look at each of our top picks to help you select the best option for you (or your lucky gift recipient).
The Picnic at Ascot Gardening Tote Is an Excellent Choice
This is the gardening bag I own, but unfortunately it no longer comes in the pattern I bought. You can choose between two really cute orange or green patterns with navy accents.
- This bag comes with three stainless steel garden tools with navy comfort grip handles (to match the tote, of course). It’s like a little gift basket ready to go for your best gardening friend’s birthday.
- It features multiple exterior pockets that are nice and deep for all your gardening tools, plus an elastic cord to keep tall handles in place. The central pocket can hold your water bottle, sunscreen, favorite novel to read by the garden, etc.
- It’s made of durable canvas with rolled handles that stay upright even when not being carried.
- This one has a nice, rigid base that keeps it upright even when it’s empty. (That’s a common complaint in customer reviews for bags without this feature.)
Dimensions of This Garden Bag: 13.5″ wide x 6.75″ deep x 12″ high
The Morden MS Garden Tool Bag Is the Best Choice for Male Gardeners
This canvas bag has plenty of pockets to hold everything from a kneeling pad to your gardening hat, and looks great alongside a tool belt.
- This bag is made of heavy-duty material in green and khaki.
- It features 8 pockets deep enough for long-handled tools, plus large interior pockets perfect for carrying plants to the garden and returning with harvests.
- Got mud? No problem. This one’s easy to wash.
- This bag is foldable when not in use.
- Unfortunately, this option is prone to falling over because there’s not a reinforced bottom. Since it’s a great budget pick at under $20, you might be willing to deal with that.
Dimensions of This Garden Tool Tote Bag: 12.1″ wide x 6.4″ deep x 12″ high
The WORKPRO Garden Tote Bag Is the Ultimate in Sturdy Construction
If you want something that’s well-built and looks really professional, this is a great option.
- This is one of the few totes that can be carried two different ways. It’s got an ergonomic handle for easy carrying, and it also has a padded shoulder strap if you’d prefer to free up your hands for heavy tools or plants.
- It has interior pockets and an elastic belt to hold go-to tools upright inside—no fishing around to find your trowel.
- You’ll be able to organize all your tools into 8 different external pockets.
- The bottom is reinforced with PE board so this tote stands on its own, and there are two interior steel wires to make sure the top of the bag holds its shape, as well.
- It’s made of wear-resistant polyester oxford cloth and can be wiped down easily.
- The design does not allow for closing or folding up when not in use.
Dimensions of This Garden Tool Tote Bag: 13″ wide x 10″ deep x 12″ high
The Caroyino Garden Tote Bag Is Our Top Budget Pick
This lightweight gardening tool bag is a great budget option that can be used for outdoor gardening or as a little home organizer.
- It’s made of durable oxford cloth that’s easy to wipe down and clean, and the pattern features little flowers in gray, light blue, and black.
- It has a large interior space for storage, and the top snaps closed. There are also 6 rectangular pockets and 2 side pockets around the outside to keep all your tools within reach.
- The light color might show dirt stains quickly, but hopefully the pattern will help to conceal any wear and tear.
Dimensions of This Gardening Tool Bag: 13.5″ wide x 6.7″ deep x 12″ high
The Housolution Gardening Tote Bag Is a Great Value
There might not be anything to stand out about this pick, but it’s a really great, basic tote at a good price.
- Like the WorkPro garden tote, this bag comes with both a padded handle and a reinforce-stitched shoulder strap.
- It has a roomy main compartment that you can semi-close with the snap of a button.
- An elastic rope above the pockets holds the handles of your tools in place.
- Made of high-quality polyester, it’s dirt-, water- and wear-resistant.
- There are 4 pockets in the front, 2 on both sides, 1 large pocket in the back, and 7 insert slots inside the bag.
- You can choose between gray and olive green for your bag color.
- Some reviewers wished the outer pockets were taller and a bit sturdier.
Dimensions of This Gardening Tool Bag: 13.78″ wide x 5.5″ deep x 11.02″ high
The NAYE Garden Tool Bag Set Comes with Essential Tools
This garden tote bag set makes the perfect little gift for Mother’s Day or a birthday.
- The floral print is really cute—it makes me nostalgic for Y2K flower power. It’s white with pink, turquoise, and orange flowers and lime green trim. The tools match with their patterned heads and lime green handles.
- The set comes with gardening gloves, a kneeling pad, pruners, a trowel, a hand rake, a weeder, a gardening fork, and a transplanter. The tools are made of solid aluminum and rust-proof.
- The tote bag is made of oxford cloth and polyester.
- There’s a 90-day warranty if you need to replace or refund your set.
- At $39.99, this is one of our pricier picks, but you are getting nine pieces total instead of just one. The reviews all say that the items included are great quality.
Dimensions of This Gardening Tool Bag: 15″ wide x 5.5″ deep x 12.5″ high
Readywares Waxed Canvas Supply Bag Is the Sturdiest, Most Durable Option
If you’re looking for something that you could pass down to grandchildren or something, this would be the best option. This would also make a great gift if you’re looking for something a little more substantial that a gardener might not buy for themselves.
- The pockets are nice and round (“pouch-style”), so you could fit an entire bottle of something like spray paint or cleaning supplies in each if you needed to. There are 14 pockets total, 8 on the exterior and 6 interior sleeve pockets.
- This bag is made of high-quality waxed canvas in a classic tan and black combo.
- It features heavy-duty, wrap-around handles and reinforced stitching.
- The base is reinforced, so the bag shouldn’t fall over.
- At $54.99, this is the most expensive pick, but I think the quality matches the price.
Dimensions of This Gardening Tool Bag: 14″ wide x 11″ high
GARDEN TOTE FAQs
What if my tool bag is too heavy to carry?
If you’re worried about the weight of your tools and supplies, you might do better purchasing a garden cart, basically a tool bag on wheels. Something like this could be a good option to spare your back.
Where should I store my garden tool bag?
The best place to keep your bag is somewhere dry and out of the elements, like a garage, a mudroom, or a tool shed. Even if your bag is empty, it’s not great to leave fabric in wet or humid conditions for too long (that includes water-resistant bags). If your bag has tools in it, you definitely want to store it somewhere dry to prevent rust and corrosion. You want your tools, like your tool bag, to last as long as possible, right?
Enjoy Your Garden Tool Bag!
I hope this guide helps you pick something for yourself (or your lucky gardener friend) that will be loved and used for years.
If you’re shopping for yourself, I recommend taking your new bag for a little spin as soon as it comes in. Organize all your tools into the pockets to make sure it holds everything you need it to. If it doesn’t work for any reason, return it and try a different one.
Let us know if you grab one of these totes for yourself or give one as a gift. We’d love to hear your thoughts! Also, don’t be shy if you have any questions for us regarding our top picks.